Society of Little Flower Breaks Ground on Campus Improvements
Since 1923, the Roman Catholic Carmelite Order has promoted their devotion to St. Thérèse of the Child Jesus and Holy Face through the Society of the Little Flower, now located in Darien, Illinois.
Situated on more than 50 acres of property, the Darien Carmelite Campus houses the Society of the Little Flower offices, the Carmelite Provincial offices, the National Shrine Museum of St. Thérèse, Carmelite Gift Shop, Carmelite Spiritual Center, Titus Brandsma Home for Retired Religious, and the Carmelite Meditation Garden.
The Darien Campus is very active and frequented by 225 plus people each day attending daily Mass and visiting the surrounding Campus grounds. In 2014, the Society began to identify areas of planned expansion and improvement to accommodate the number of worshipers drawn on a regular basis.
With a generous donation from the Margie & Robert E. Petersen Foundation, the Society of the Little Flower is embarking on a major renovation effort. The scope of work includes construction of a new St. Thérèse Chapel and a St. Louis Martin Clock Tower, installation of new paths throughout the grounds, a new entryway to the Spiritual Center and Renovation of St Paul’s Hall and Gift Shop.
Charles Vincent George Architects was retained to lead the Society through the planning and design process. ICI was subsequently hired to work in tandem and provide cost estimating and construction management services.
The project broke ground on May 15, 2017 and has a planned construction duration of approximately 13 months.